2016 Emmy Awards September 18, 2016
With data from our deterministic universe of 30MM US HH’s, Alphonso looked at the recent Sunday’s Emmy Awards. This year’s Emmy’s performance continued the trend of declining live linear viewing – especially among Millennials. Some other insights:
• Two competing live events (Emmy’s and NFL Sunday Night Football) led Sunday primetime viewing – although both lost audience vs. year ago.
• Without benefit of NFL lead-in, this year’s Emmy awards on ABC commanded an 8% SOV of Sunday’s live viewing audience, but was no match for the power of Football, which had a 17% SOV during the 8 to 11PM period.
• CBS aired a special presentation on “Jon Benet Ramsey”, likely impacting Emmy’s poor showing, garnering a 7% SOV.
• In terms of audience flow, Emmy’s viewership began at low levels but quickly peaked during the first hour. After a brief decline around 9PM, viewing stabilized for the remainder of the night.
• Emmy Die-hards: Alphonso data shows that 40% of audience began their TV viewing for the night, tuning into the Emmy’s; and 54% of Emmy’s viewers ended their TV viewing for the night as the show wrapped up.